Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Prestige

Haha, I can't believe that all the hoola is reaching its end. After following its development on every stage very closely, The Prestige has eventually arrived in Singapore (2nd country.. after Italy's Rome festival.. to show it hehe).

So as you can see, since I have a great anticipation towards movie, I die die must watch it the first day of release (haha though there is sneaks like yesterday.. but it took place at about 9 pm.. so too late.)

I like the movie sooo much that I decided to post a review in IMdB haha. First ever proper review I've ever done in my life... so mind the formal tone.

Here's the review:

Another Magical Work by Nolan
8 out of 10 stars

After watching 4 of Christopher Nolan's shows, I really have a high expectation of this movie. In addition to the great director, the cast selection is superb as well. Well, thankfully I'm not disappointed by this movie.

"The Prestige" is filled with twists and turns. I think how you see the twists and turns will affect what you think of the movie eventually. Some people will be fascinated by them (like me), while others won't. Well, the story can be basically summarized to two themes, Deceit and Obsession. I thought Nolan chooses a great way to present the story. Though the back and forth narration may confused some people, I thought it really works well for the movie, teasing audience to figure out how the story really goes. I feel that the type of flashbacks here is different from those used in Nolan's "Insomnia" and "Memento", though they are effective for their respective movies.

I watched the show with some book spoilers in mind. To those who had read the book, well, the story is rather different from the book. The ending especially. The movie does not mention about the descendants of the Magicians at all.

Hugh Jackman's and Christian Bale's acting are amazing. One supporting actor which I think stands out is David Bowie's Nikola Tesla. His charisma really makes his character interesting.

Like other Nolan's movies, this movie is visually stunning. You won't be disappointed by its cinematography.

Despite being a great movie, I don't think that this movie will be one of the major contenders for Oscar. The genre doesn't really suit well with Oscar type of movies.

Nevertheless, in my opinion, this movie is one of the best movies this year, and is definitely a must watch.

*******

I'm still waiting for its approval hehehe.

(I couldn't write the following stuff in the review.. so yeah). So am I happy? Yes, like duh. I thought that Christian Bale would look awful in the show. But turns out I was wrong. Though he didn't go topless (unlike Hugh Jackman who did it once haha), he is still hott!!!! Hahaha. I'm planning to watch it again for the second time :) And I've found a person to do it with.

Well seriously I think I'll only watch it 2 times. Not 3. Hehe. I'll get the DVD most probably.

More later dudes :)

No comments: