Saturday, June 17, 2006

Back to study (not)

Hello people. I'm already back in Singapore. So ya, in the end, I didn't get much things from Hong Kong. Well at least better than nothing right? ^^ At least I have bought Donnie Darko DVD! Yayyyyyy! So happy! I recorded the show from Channel 5 last year, but I can barely understand the words that were spoken there. It was so muffled >.< Hahaha.. so one of the coming days hopefully I'll watch the movie (and ogle at Jake Gyllenhaal. Haha).

Over the course of 6 days, I managed to watch 4 movies haha. They are Daisy, O Brother Where Are Thou, Shawshank Redemption (at last I managed to find this movie haha) and the Truman Show. All of them are fantastic shows haha. Actually, coming to think of it, I'm getting more picky about watching movies haha. So far the movies that I watched this year are great, or at least bearable (ehm.. Ladder 49 is barely bearable haha).

(All are reviewed below..)

This year, there's one mistake that I'm still rather guilty of. There was a girl whom I spoke to, and she said that "Fight Club" is her favourite movie. I don't know what goes into my mind, but at that point, I told her, "Do you know that the guy who directs that movie is Madonna's husband?" Arghhhhh... that may be one of the biggest error a movie fanatic could commit. I actually confused it with another Brad Pitt movie haha. "Fight Club" <----> "Snatch" *sigh*

I want to watch Fight Club!

So, the early arrival to Singapore is supposedly to provide time for studying. Sadly, these past few days have been really unproductive. I've been either going online for a long period or watching football matches (yay Holland and England!) till about 2 am. At least today I had resumed my Chem revision. I should be done with Chem tomorrow...

I had a really strange dream in Hong Kong. Try to link Ari Wibowo (an Indo actor), LV and Christian Bale haaha.

Later =)
---------
Movie Reviews
Shawshank Redemption (8.5 stars out of 10)
I guess this will go to one of my favourite movie lists (though Eternal Sunshine will still occupy the #1 spot). After watching this, now I understand why it occupies #2 spot (just under the Godfather) in the IMDb's top 250 movie list of all time. A great movie on hope and friendship. Though it doesn't make me cry, it's a great, touching movie. The plot is great as well, I like the twist in the end. The cinematography is breathless as well. Surprising, my Father watched this movie along with me haha. It's a surprise since usually he prefers action movies. Well, wonders of the world! Anyway, if you're a movie aficionado, then this movie is a must watch!


The Truman Show (8.5 stars out of 10)
While Shawshank is a more of a serious, great drama, The Truman Show is more of light-hearted, although it doesn't make it less great than Shawshank. The story is truly original, and really reflects today's obsessions with reality TV. Well, in the movie, the main character (played brilliantly by Jim Carrey) didn't even know that he was in a reality show. I love how the movie also pays a lot of attention to details actually. *spoilers alert* For example, the movie answers the question why Laura Linney's character tend to elaborate on details of the products used in the show without being told by anyone else. It's because.. since the show was 24-hour, the show relies on product placement for its income.*spoilers end* The ending of the story was kind of predictable as the show goes on, but at least, the movie ended in style (you'll get why I write this when you watched the show). Anyway, I think everybody must watch this movie haha.



No comments: