Saturday, July 26, 2008

Top Priority

As someone says, for me, Batman supercedes everything in this blog. Dang, I do agree with that :D

Anyway, I have to interrupt my recollection of my Middle East trip with my Dark Knight ramblings! Hahaha.. I just have to write my thoughts out on this movie. I do really feel like a geek when seeing the first sequence of the show. I was like "Oh my gawd, this could just be a dream! I'm here watching a Batman sequel! How can it beeee?" Well about a month ago I dreamt I was watching "The Dark Knight" and it totally sucked! Hahaha. Okay, the first sequence of the show didn't really appear like a Batman movie, and has a film noir feeling to it, which now I thought was really appropriate considering how Christopher Nolan would be taking us through the complexities of the world of Gothan City for the next 150 mins.

Joker appeared at about 5 mins into the show, and Batman at about 10 mins. Yes, I am a huge fan of Christian Bale, but I got to say that the Joker really steals the show. Oh man, his mannerism is so freaky and psycho, with non-stop mad giggling which either you'll find it frightening or sadistically amusing (which happened to me a few times). Heath Ledger's performance was truly a masterpiece. I do agree that, like what the cast said, that this movie is really a celebration of Heath's talent.

Considering how much spoilers I had seen for this movie (from the paparazzi and official behind-the-scene shots and the viral publicity campaign), I am really surprised at how Christopher Nolan still managed to keep everyone guessing on how the movie would progress. Based on the spoilers, some of my guess on the plot were right, but most of them were wrong! I was already amazed by the stuntwork while watching the official behind-the-scene shots (IMAX featurette for the Joker-Harvey chase scene), but now when I was watching that scene in the show, it made more sense, and I was left even more amazement. The best stunt work was arguably the flipping truck. Yes I had watched that scene a couple of times in the trailer, but seeing that on the full cinema screen, I just went "Whoa!"

Maybe you are surprised by why I haven't talked much about Christian Bale. Well, he looked consistently good in the show! :D So there wasn't really an "A-HA" moment where I thought "Oh mann he looks soo goooood!" (unlike the airplane scene in the Batman Begins.. or the memorable push-up scene hehehe).

I'm giving this movie a 5 stars out of 5. Which is the first time I have ever given to a movie. I am hoping to catch the movie again, so that I can digest the story more properly.. and feast my eyes more on Christian Bale :D Hopefully, after the 2nd watching, the 5 stars rating will remain! :) I really do hope that Chris Nolan will do at least one more Batman film!

P.S. Judging from what I read in Empire, Watchmen is likely to turn out as bloody as 300. Hmm, can't wait ;) *desire to read the graphic novel increases*

No comments: