Monday, July 07, 2008

Bad Idea

Yesterday, for the first time of my life, I watched 3 movies at a go! With a friend of mine, Tomatoe, in the National Museum. The movies are of parts of Michelangelo Antonioni's Retropective, which had been going on for 3 weeks, and yesterday was the last day. I chose to watch those 3 movies, because they were part of an unofficial trilogy done by the Italian director on the alienation of human beings towards the society. So in the end, did I enjoy the 3 movies? The answer.. is no, which is sad. I think part of the reason is mainly because I still haven't reached the age where I can appreciate his movies fully. Sometimes I feel some scenes of his movies are really pretentious, with lots of lingering around and long takes. Okay, his movies are really visual treats, with lots of attention to details and composition (the movies are all black and white!), but that doesn't help to prevent my boredom as well.

The 3 movies that I saw were L'Avventura, La Notte and L'Eclisse. The first one is considered to be one of the director's best works. But I don't really like any of the 3 shows O_O Sometimes, there are movies where you can find ways to fall in love with them, but these 3 are just not the case. I fell asleep in the middle of the 2nd movie, and my friend also fell asleep here and there. The endings of the 3 movies leave me feel unsatisfied. I guess I don't really enjoy an ending that is too open. Some movies make perfect sense with the open endings, but the endings of these movies are way too open. Then again, it may be because my brain has always been set by the schools from young age to accept a story only when it has a beginning, climax and conclusion. Seriously, if a student writes the type of stories that Antonioni wrote in school, he or she will surely be regarded as a horrible writer by a teacher. I don't know, I guess I have not gone to the ability of appreciating the extremes of art films.

Lol, this somewhat reminds me of my hate towards Clint Eastwood and Martin Scorscese films. I had given them one to two tries, but just could not bear with watching any more shows directed by them (just yet). Maybe the time will come where I'll watch them again, and hopefully by then I can enjoy it to the extent that these directors hope to achieve in their audience.

I hope to eventually research more on the Italian director. Sometimes, one needs to learn more on how a person's mind works to more appreciate his actions and works.

No comments: