Monday, August 25, 2008

University Life Is Here

Helloz! Sorry that I have not updated this blog for a month.. since I've been concentrating a lot in a recently created photoblog of mine in Wordpress (http://itshallberemembered.wordpress.com). For now, all of the photos there are from my recent trip to the Middle East, but I really hope to diversify my pictures once I get through my Middle East photo batch! The blog will be constantly updated, and will sort of take over from my DeviantArt photo gallery account (which will still exist... but it will be of less priority). I felt that, after 4 years in DeviantArt, I thought I really needed to move more to something outside of it... and also to do things more properly. The DeviantArt gallery look can be quite all over the place, so I really like how the Wordpress photoblog is very simple, yet functional :) And now I am quite lazy to continue my Middle East tale in this blog -.- I prefer to use the pictures to tell the stories in the Wordpress blog! So, I hope you'll check that blog out!

Anyway, so how has my life been? University life has finally started (after the 8 month holiday which began to feel agonising)... and I am still adjusting to it! Before university starts, I attended 3 camps: the Business Faculty camp, the Catholic community camp and the compulsory Freshmen Teambuilding Camp (FTB). Well, Business Faculty camp... since I was having flu then, I was not able to enjoy it to the maximum. And I don't really like the dirty, mindless games we were forced to play! :( Catholic community camp... I got sunburnt in Sentosa the 2nd day! :( I guess I didn't put enough sunblock. Well I forgot to tell you that the Catholic community camp and FTB were back to back. I am still glad that I completed those 2 camps still intact! Albeit with lots of bruises for FTB camp haha. However, despite this, I felt that FTB camp was the most fun out of the 3.

There were about 400-500 participants, and it was run 4! We stayed in tents in OBS East Coast. Having heard how bad the camp could be, I really had low expectation of it. But, in the end, I found out that things were not as bad as it seemed to be! Like the shower room (which was perfectly standard type, with no hot water.. which is fine with me! though no cloth hanger -.-), the food (which surprisingly had fruits! haha), and the debriefs (which some of my friends told me were bound to be horrible). Well, I guess I was really lucky to get a good facilitator, who was able to make debriefs interesting and meaningful ones! My group was one of the smallest in the run (we started with 9, and ended with 6 people -.-), and yet I felt it is because of this small size that we bonded really well. The games in FTB (which are supposed to be called activities) provoke a lot of creative thinking and group discussion. In FTB, we also did tunneling (which is torturous but okay) and rafting (which is fun!). The last day of FTB was the most tiring one. The activity was called the Last Station, and it contained 12 game stations. So each group has to race as fast as they could to complete the 12 games, and there were lots of running and physically tiring games! So, even though FTB was the most tiring camp out of the 3, I felt that it was the most satisfying and fun out of the 3 camps!

First week of school had passed! I am taking 4 course units this semester (I dropped one.. since the class was 95% Year 2 students, and the rest, which were freshmen, were in a clique). Last week was quite horrible with all the textbooks buying! I bought a textbook of a wrong publisher in Clementi bookstore, and had to waste time going back there (and being nagged by the auntie). It was tiring also because I had to cram my readings in the library, since at that point of time I had not bought my textbooks yet. With the purchase of all the books, I felt that this week would be much better than last week! YAY haha.

One thing that I am still struggling with in school is the difficulty to make close friends in school. I have many hi-bye friends now.. though I would prefer quality to quantity. I have also yet to find arty farty people in school (don't need really indie type one!). I joined a few art group CCAs, and hope that through these CCAs, I would be able to find people who appreciates art! The main passions that people I talked to have are outdoor and business-oriented O_O This is my personal opinion, but at my age, I do not think we should talk so much about business.. since in the future we will be talking about business a lot! I really feel that university life will be the last chance of exploring passions that you may have outside your workplace in the future! I do not want my life to centre around work O_O

In the Business Government Society class last Friday, my lecturer(-cum-tutor) showed us a portion of a documentary "The Corporation". It somewhat turns me off corporate life even more O_O I find this quite ironic, since if what I hoped to do in arts don't work out, I will have to work in corporates! Well the documentary concludes that the behavior of corporations can really be as similar to that of a psychopath, which I can agree. But then again, it is really irony that despite this, people still have to rely on corporation for consumer goods, and for employment to earn money :(

This entry is getting long.. so I shall stop here.

Cheers.

No comments: