Monday, December 10, 2007

Interlude

I'm currently in Indonesia right now... and have been excited about Jakarta International Film Festival '08 (or JIFFest for short). Quite a number of artistic films will be shown... including several potential Oscars 2008 contenders. The movies that I want to see are:

1. 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days (a Romanian film)
2. Atonement
3. Persepolis
4. No Country For Old Men
5. La Vie En Rose

JIFFest will even show 881 of Singapore hahaha. The tickets to the festival are considerably cheap compared to normal cinema tickets. The tickets are Rp 20,000 each (approx. S$4), compared to Rp 40,000 or 50,000 of normal cinema tickets. No. 2 and 4 will open in Singapore. If I don't catch Atonement in Singapore, I'll still be able to see it in Hong Kong. Hong Kong will show Persepolis, not sure for Singapore. No Country For Old Men will only open in Singapore in March, which is a long way to go! So I'm hoping to catch it now. La Vie En Rose is already out on DVD, so if I don't see it now, I'll still be able to see it on DVD.

You may be wondering why I have not talked about 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. Well, it's because I've seen it hahaha. It won top prize in 2007 Cannes Festival and the reviews for it have been positive all over the place. I have a feeling the movie will never make it to Singapore. So I went to see it with high expectations.. with my brother and his girlfriend haha. Guess what I react to the film? I was extremely disappointed.. :( :( I think the aftermath of the movie screening is comparable to the aftermath of seeing Happy Feet, where I complained non-stop for like an hour or so hahaha. Firstly, the sypnosis in the JIFFest guide kind of give me a wrong idea of the story. Throughout the movie, I was like wanting the storyline to move on... because the film was really going sooo slowly, and I wanted the movie to move on to the next scene (which I thought may be more exciting.. like a climax). Instead... the movie ended abruptly. And my first reaction along with my brother was "What the heckkkk....?". In my opinion, the movie doesn't even have a climax hahaha. One of the s***tiest movie I have seen to be honest. I guess my appreciation for indie movies does not go to such a high level O_O Maybe I'll have to see this movie again when I'm older.. in order for me to appreciate it. Sorry but I have to give this movie 4.0/10. A waste of 120 mins.


The other movie that I had watched in these few days is "Rescue Dawn"... starring Christian Bale hahahaha. Christian Bale wasn't hot and attractive in this movie sadly. Anyway, this movie is brilliant, especially its cinematography. Most of the movie's scenes are filled with greeneries, which makes it more remarkable over the fact that the cinematography of this movie wasn't boring at all. It's beautiful! Well, I really like this movie, because it manages to portray a grim scenario with some sense of humour. I love how the story really promotes hope. As always, cough, Christian Bale's acting was brilliant. I kind of cringed when he bit a snake... hahahaha. I'll give this movie 7.5/10.


That's all for now. I'll update again soon.

No comments: