Thursday, November 20, 2008

Season of Mugging

Mugging season is back... and it took some time for me to catch the mugging bug. Only when I planned out what I had to study did I realise that I have such a short time to prepare for my exam. So I guess for these upcoming days, my 8-10 hours of studying mode will be back O_O albeit temporarily thankfully.

Today I realised how much my life depended on Ed's Fish Soup. I could eat Ed's Fish Soup 4 times a week when I lived in Leonie Hill. Well, it's healthy and cheap.... and most importantly tasty! All of the fish soups in my new home area tasted bland :( Some of you may argue that I could just take the Great World shuttle bus to town... but considering how much time school requires from me, it is not really possible for most of the time!

I caught two movies this week. One was Tropic Thunder, and the other was Cape No. 7, a Taiwanese movie. Watching Tropic Thunder was a spontaneous decision, since I was scrolling through the Cathay movie timings on its website, and found Tropic Thunder's timing to be perfect. Well, I found the movie okay. Some parts are funny, while others are way too lame. Ben Stiller was the sanest out of the lot (until the last part), Jack Black the lousiest and Robert Downey Jr. was the most ridiculous... but he stole the show! How on earth did he inhibit the character? O_O It's amazing. Anyway, since I watched Tropic Thunder alone, I kinda regret not watching Blindness instead, as I think it will be a more suitable movie to watch alone. But since I paid only S$6 for Tropic Thunder, I won't complain :)

This picture says everything:

Anyway, let me talk about Cape No. 7. I had read that it is a huge box office hit in Taiwan (and that has not happened for like ages). So when I found out I could go for its preview for free, I seized the chance! It was a great movie! The movie kinda reminds me of Japan, most probably because of some of the sceneries in the movies and the movie's colour palette. Giving a different potrayal from the normally bustling side of Taiwan, the movie showcases a laidback life in a less known city (when compared to Taipei), the northern seaside town Heng-Chun. I really love the dialogues of this films. They come naturally funny and witty. The humour doesn't come out forced. The development of the characters were really superficial, and the movie kinda loses its plot midway and gets cliche, but I was not expecting this movie to be the serious sort! Just let your hair down when you watch this movie, and enjoy it!

I shall go back to mugging. Take care people... and good luck to those having or will be having exams too!

No comments: