Thursday, December 18, 2008

Tales

Today is my third day being back in Singapore. It has been quite busy, with the increasing activities involving SMU Film<3Fest. Marketing has been our prime focus now, and in the past two days I finished doing our website (on Wordpress, which sadly doesn't allow free CSS customising) and Facebook group. I am happy with the results thus far (albeit feeling helpless on wanting to increase the wordpress' page font size).

Today I went for an interview for the Office of University Events. I was already expecting kind of a corporate stuff, but still felt uneased when left waiting in the meeting room alone, with its long table and two rows of chairs. The interviewer didn't give me chance to even say "Good Morning", and forgot to introduce himself. Yes I know his name, but I think it would be nicer if he could say his name again? It turns out that if the job title goes by the name of event assistant, it means helpers-cum-ambassadors for events, and most probably no involvement in the event organising stage. It is all about execution! The pay would be S$8.18 per hour if you do the event, and the guy told me that one event roughly takes 4 hours. I could not help being amused when seeing my CV, he went we don't do arty farty stuff. Inside me I went, "Yes sir, I know your office only deals with corporate stuff."

The interview was okay, but could be better. I don't know what questions to ask him, since there was a lack of information before the interview, and that through his briefing he had kinda answered the questions that I had beforehand.

To make matters bad, I met a person whom I absolutely hate on my way out of the floor. Sigh, why do I have to see her?

Anyway, after that I went to the National Library. I managed to have a proper read of the Moulin Rouge moviebook. I was surprised to find the inspiration of the story (which is of greek myths) and that the elephant set took about 2 months to build, 2 days of shooting and 2 minutes of destroying the set hahaha.

The most interesting I read in the library was the Grimm brothers fairy tales. It was amazing that reading fairy tales as an adult you may see the stories in different manners. The version I read was original and annointed, so some explanations were included on certain parts of stories. I was amused that in the original frog price story, the frog got thrown against the wall by the princess when he requested to sleep on her bed. And then the frog turned into a prince hahaha. The version that most of us had known got the princess kissing the frog before him turning into a prince haha.

I read Little Red Riding Hood, and found it quite stupid that she didn't recognise the wolf pretending to be grandmother haha. And then the part where the hunter stab open the wolf's stomach to rescue Little Red Riding Hood and Grandmother and then sewing it back... that is sooo like C-Section hahahaa. Guess what, in a different version of little red riding hood, little red riding hood was supposed to do striptease to the wolf O_O Hahahahaha. Yes, there are actually some sexual connotations to fairy tales, and of course we would not be aware of them when we are young. Some scholars (yes there are folklore scholars) deemed the pricess' relationship with the frog in the frog story as a metaphor as a young girl being disgusted by male genitals (represented by the frog), and then when the frog asked her to do some stuff like put him on the dining table and eat dinner him, it is like the evolution of domestic relationship. His request to get to her bed supposedly refers to marriage. So his transformation to prince represents the princess being comfortable with marriage (does that make sense?)

Till the next entry.

No comments: