Sunday, July 08, 2007

08/07/07

Oops. 2 weeks and 2 days since GYLC, 2 weeks since my last (very short) blog entry, and Live Earth had just ended haha.

So let met tell you first about GYLC briefly. I learnt a lot of interesting about other cultures *cough cough* and surprisingly about myself as well. Well, it's the first time of me traveling overseas without my parents or family members. It's a very eye-opening experience haha. Since I'm the adventurous type, I wasn't scared at all (unlike that guy who is someone says is supposedly "my favourite person" ewww). Anyway, thankfully I didn't feel homesick (though I missed Chinese food really badly.. the Chinese food there is quite horrible). My friend in GYLC from my country group, South Africa (who also shared room with me in Washington) and I frequently go to pizza and pasta shops for meals (she suggests it! haha), so that explains why I was really sick of pizza and pastas at the end of GYLC. I really learn the fact that sometimes, you can't just compromise with some people! Because, if you keep compromising with some types of person, you'll totally lose out haha. Hmm I'm not the kind who can just leave person for another friend. I'm not that mean okay! Haha. Because I don't want that same thing to happen to me. Hmm let me talk about the good sides of GYLC. GYLC taught me more to be more outspoken and more of a confident speaker. We had to do a lot of talkings there, so I guess that makes you more comfortable speaking to a group of people (about 24 people in one country group). During the trip, I was thinking I must speak up more, if not I wouldn't make full use of the conference. I had to continuously challenge myself. So, on the trip to United Nations, when a person from my country group got the honour of asking a question to the speaker in United Nations, I volunteered myself, and I got selected! Haha. Yup. So at first I wasn't really sure what to ask, and so I just generated some possible questions for the actual day. I came up with a list of questions, and in the end I asked, "What kind of programmes do UN have to engage the greater involvement of youth in Developing Countries?". Interestingly, in addition to answering that question, the speaker also somewhat answered the other questions which I had on the list :)


Hmm, GYLC made me realise how hard it is to really make good friends within such a short period of time! (12 days to be exact). First of all, you have to find someone whom you share several similar interests (so that at least you can talk about it). Secondly, I appreciate the fact that it's soo much easier to relate things and talk things with people of similar culture. Sometimes I just don't know what more to ask from people of other countries. This is especially bad for people who are quiet, and doesn't really talk unless you talk to them haha. I guess I treasure my friends more now :)


Of course, as those people whom I've talked to know, the most shocking thing happened on the last day of GYLC during the dinner cruise. It's totally culture shock man!
O_O


Here's my country group picture, South Africa. It's the only picture in which every member was in it. My faculty advisor Philip was in that picture too.

Do you see any cute guy? Haha. In my opinion there are at least two :) (some of my friends says one person looks like Prince William haha. Spot him!)

Well after GYLC, because my flight was only available the next morning (United Airlines service totally sucks), so me and 2 other people extended our stay. Well, I'm sick of repeating myself over the accidents. So I'll just say "my favourite person" ruined the day.

So what have I been up to recently? Well, people from US came back for holiday! Hahaha. It's really fun catching up with you all.. and seeing you all being amazed by the massive transformation of Singapore haha. I also caught some movies. Transformers and Death Proof. I'll review it on the next entry teehee. Other than that... I soo need to really study! I haven't really mugged :(

Well Live Earth had just ended. Before yesterday I somewhat thought maybe it'll have the impact of Live 8 concerts. But after watching it for a few hours yesterday and doing more research on it, hmm I think that it may not have the similar kind of impact. Lack of proper goals? Agreed. Too little famous artists lined up? Agreed. Private jets for artists contributing to pollution? Agreed. But then again, as one artist argued, the price paid for the concert may bring greater benefits and exceeds its cost. Which may be right. Well, I'll just wait for the outcomes first.

Tomorrow's Monday. Sigh school again :(


No comments: